Are you looking for a rewarding career in Business Development with a successful organization and healthy corporate culture? Christman may be the place for you! We are seeking a Regional Business Development Manager for our DC Metro region. This position plays a key role and serves as a regional leader in the pursuit of new business relationships and project opportunities through the development of relationships, strategies and active collaboration.
In addition to a rewarding career, Christman is an ESOP owned company that offers performance based bonuses, promotes professional development and has a robust benefit program. Our employee-owners are dedicated to fulfilling our values of: honoring all commitments with integrity, building lasting relationships, having passion for our work and a competitive spirit, and keeping Christman a great place to work. We are looking for future owners and partners to join our team!
Essential Job FunctionReasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Build and Maintain Business Relationships and other Key Business Partnerships to Grow Business
Builds and maintains robust professional network in the industry and within specific market areas by attending conferences and developing strategies to maximize investment, joining professional associations, and participating in other professional and civic organizations.
Maintains regular communication with architect/engineering firms and others to identify pursuits and partnerships.
Maintains communication with current clients to assess their needs on a regular basis.
Initiates conversations with future prospective clients to inquire about needs, future plans, objectives, presents a relevant introduction to Christman, and identifies appropriate next steps.
Looks for opportunities to build partnerships with clients, future clients, industry stakeholders, and architectural and other project partners that will lead to professional development and business growth.
Assists principals with building and executing their business development strategies and helps to identify sources of leads through maintaining regular brainstorming/collaboration.
Recognizes and introduces creative resources and partnerships to industry-related groups and clients that could remove barriers to potential projects.
Promotes Christman through involvement with the community (i.e., public or private boards, civic organizations, charitable foundations, fundraisers, professional organizations, etc.) to build strategic relationships and business opportunities for the next opportunity as well as to enhance the communities in which we live and work.
Manage Project Pursuit Process
Identifies pipeline projects and develops strategic plans.
Secures new work.
Together with marketing teammates, supports development of the pursuit team in presentation delivery and message development.
Supports pursuits by writing proposal sections and components of qualifications packages.
Manages and supports the development of timely and accurate CRM pursuit and client data.
Key leader in identifying "win" themes and strategies for pursuit success.
Conducts market assessments to better understand project feasibility and market strategies.
Research Industry Trends and Offer Ways to Optimize Competitiveness
Gathers and synthesizes information from a variety of sources (i.e., websites, master plans, regional news sources) to stay current with industry and market specific trends and presents findings to relevant internal partners.
Cultivates familiarity with new Christman technologies and offerings.
Conducts market research through a variety of sources including competitor research, professional conferences/seminars/workshops, whitepapers and other publications to identify potential new markets and ways to grow current markets.
Studies industry competitors and understands their strengths and weaknesses and how Christman compares.
Contributes feedback and input into refining the brand with changes occurring in the industry.
Work Collaboratively to Support Improvement of Business Development Outcomes
Develops strategic public-private partnerships that bring additional resources to assist with project success.
Leads improvement initiatives both within the Marketing and Business Development team and beyond.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, Business, Communications, or related job field.
Minimum five (5) years of overall experience in field or related job field or minimum of three (3) years of specific business development experience. -or-
Equivalent combination of the above education, training, and experience.
Preferred Education and Experience
Previous business development experience in construction markets.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail and ability to work with minimal supervision.
Strong project management and organizational skills, including attention to detail and ability to work with minimal supervision.
Strong interpersonal skills and effective relationship building capacity with internal team members at different levels in the organization as well as external partners.
Confident, consultative style in expressing opinions in a collaborative work environment
Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite applications.
The Christman family of companies is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity.
Equal Opportunity Employer: disability/veteran
About The Christman Company
- Founded in 1894 by H.G. Christman in South Bend, Indiana, The Christman Company opened its Lansing, Michigan office in 1915, and was incorporated in the State of Michigan in 1927.
- In 2013, Christman acquired the capital stock of Rentenbach Constructors Incorporated and the two firms merged in a strategic growth initiative to expand their mutual capabilities in the southeast U.S. and beyond, yielding a resulting company with a combined 192 years of experience.
- In 2020, Christman acquired MEDCO Construction, the in-house construction partner for the Texas-based Baylor Scott & White Health System for more than 55 years. The addition of this skilled team and complex project experience offers Christman the opportunity to provide project planning, virtual design and construction along with expert schedule and budget management to hospitals across our regions. Together, we perfectly align to forge a collaborative and safe approach to modern healthcare construction.
- From the very beginning, our diverse corporate culture of today was built around the values of what we now call The Christman Way, with simple values of including honoring commitments with integ...rity, teamwork, mutual respect, recognition of excellence, a passion for our work, a competitive spirit and a focus on developing long-term relationships.
- Annual revenues of more than $1 billion, with over $4 billion in construction currently underway.
- Fully management-owned, with every project overseen by a corporate officer who is also a shareholder with a vested interest in each client’s complete satisfaction.
- Financial strength to properly staff our projects and meet all commitments.
- Ranked #88 in the 2020 Engineering News-Record ENR 400 list of top contractors nationally, and 54 in the 2019 ENR 100 list of top construction management-at-risk firms.
- Award-winning safety program, with a current average Experience Modification Rating (EMR) of 0.83. We have also been recognized with a first-ever Gold Safety award to a construction management firm by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) organization in our home state of Michigan and Accident Fund Insurance Company of America’s first-ever “Policyholder of the Year” award for an exemplary claims record out of 45,000 policyholders.
- Nationally recognized historic preservation group.
- Office locations throughout the country
- Experience in 38 states
- The industry’s best, most comprehensive pre-construction and planning services, with a “whole building” approach, technologically advanced virtual building, and a wide range of value management tools such as benchmarking and life cycle costing.
- A caliber of work recognized by many local, state and national awards and honors.
Our People: Experts. Leaders. Partners.
- More than 485 experienced full-time professionals, including a full complement of project managers, superintendents, planners, value analysts, LEED Accredited Professionals, estimators, architects, in-house mechanical/electrical coordinators, information specialists, engineers, and accountants.
- Through Christman University, a comprehensive training and development program, our people are given the specialized tools required to deliver the highest level of service.
- A diverse corporate culture built around the values of The Christman Way, including teamwork, mutual respect, recognition of excellence, a passion for our work, a competitive spirit, and a focus on developing long-term relationships.