About the Company: Marcus & Millichap Company (“MMC”) is a real estate leader and pioneer with a diverse family of companies offering Real Estate Services, Real Estate Investments and Real Estate Developments. Each MMC company is a distinct fusion of real estate specialization and innovation powered by a culture of loyalty that permeates throughout the Marcus & Millichap organization. To find out more about the Company, please visit www.mmcrealestate.com.
Job Description: We’re hiring a Senior Tax Analyst to join our team in Palo Alto, California! Reporting directly to the Director of Tax, the Senior Tax Analyst will focus on preparing and reviewing real estate partnership tax returns, arranging with the various accounting groups the timing or relevant information to prepare tax returns, and coordinating with external CPA firms to ensure we meet our tax return filing deadlines. This position manages priorities by organizing work and keeping the Director of Tax and others in the tax team informed, including anticipating next steps and taking a proactive lead to complete assigned projects.
This is a great opportunity for those who would like to utilize and develop their existing skills. For example, this role offers growth opportunities and provides vast experience in the corporate entity of a highly successful and dynamic real estate organization in the Bay Area. You will have a huge amount of ownership over your work and work alongside a strong tax management team. We’re in a great location - near Caltrain with good restaurants and shops within walking distance. We promote flexible work arrangements. MMC has dual tax return filing deadlines: December 31 and March 31.
Although our office is located in Palo Alto, California, this role will have the option and capability of remote work. After a brief ramp up time, we are excited to offer you the flexibility to determine your office schedule with your team. We offer a compelling compensation package and a quality of work life which will make you remember why you love working in Tax! You will enjoy the excitement of partnering with all the affiliate companies and the support of a well-respected team, while not having the pressure of billable hours. This is a perfect opportunity for those who are looking to make the move from professional services to industry, and we will also consider those with in-house Tax experience.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
Prepare/review tax PBC schedules for the annual tax return compliance
Prepare/review tax work papers and tax returns to ensure proper documentation and support of tax positions
Review LLC agreements for partnership allocations and distributions
Prepare book allocation schedules and deferred income taxes under ASC 740 for the annual audit
Work closely with the corporate and subsidiaries’ accounting groups
Perform analytical review of property-related financials for tax return reporting and quarterly tax projection purposes
Support various collaborative projects, including assisting with tax compliance, estimates, provisions and planning
Coordinate with external CPA firms for federal and state tax filings
Coordinate joint venture investor information, due dates, and reporting
Resolve IRS and state tax audits and notices
Document tax procedures and streamline and enhance processes when possible
Take on other projects as needs arise, e.g., local excise tax returns, etc.
Research tax issues as needed
Appropriately delegate work to and supervise tax administrative staff
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Demonstrate real estate and partnership tax technical knowledge
Enthusiastic and pro-active with a ‘can do’ attitude
Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
Marcus & Millichap Company ('MMC') is a privately held organization, based in Palo Alto, California, with a diverse family of operating companies under its umbrella. Each MMC company is a distinct fusion of real estate specialization and innovation powered by a culture of loyalty that permeates throughout. MMC’s operating companies are in the real estate service, real estate investment and real estate development spaces. Our companies have revolutionized numerous real estate practices and set the standard of success as a result of an unwavering focus on long-term, sustainable growth, as well as a unique blending of entrepreneurial drive with institutional discipline.
Our Operating Companies:
- MMC Technology Ventures (‘MMCT’): We primarily invest in post-Series A rounds, and we are committed to helping early-stage companies grow through utilizing their products internally and introducing entrepreneurs to MMCT’s vast network of real estate professionals.
- Meridian: We are a full-service commercial developer and provider of real estate services. Our team of experienced and talented real estate professionals provide comprehensive commercial building solutions and leads the wa...y in the development of modern building facilities.
- Pacific Urban Investors (‘PUI’): We are an industry leading multi-family investment firm and pension fund manager. We are focused exclusively on the multi-family rental space.
- Hanover Real Estate Investors: Our niche is providing joint venture equity capital to local and national developers and operators of real estate to facilitate the acquisition, reposition and/or development of multi-family and single tenant properties.
- SummerHill Apartment Communities: We are a developer of multi-family and mixed-use residential projects, specializing in development of the greater San Francisco Bay Area.
- SummerHill Homes: We are a specialty builder of mid-to high-end residential homes in superior settings throughout San Francisco Bay Area focusing on in-fill development locations. We are nationally recognized for our expertise in customizing development plans to accommodate the unique characteristics of a given development site.